Your wish: a dream figure, with a flat stomach, nymph’s thighs, discreet buttocks and slender knees. Liposuction can be a solution to erase the small bulges in the stomach or the hips.
Liposuction, what is it?
Liposuction, or liposuction or even liposculpture, is a surgical method for aesthetic purposes, which consists of removing fatty deposits located in certain parts of the body. Liposuction of the stomach, saddlebags, buttocks, knees etc. can be done.
The amount of fat removed during liposuction is expressed in volume and not in weight: the surgeon seeks to correct a shape and not to lose pounds.
Usually 2 liters of fat are sucked in, but this can go up to 5 liters. If the volume of fat is too large, consider two liposuction procedures spaced out over time.
Before the intervention
Before liposuction, a 20 to 30 minute consultation with the cosmetic surgeon and the anesthetist is mandatory, this is the preoperative assessment. You will be prescribed a homeopathic anti-bruising treatment (arnica), and you will need to purchase a compression panty to wear immediately after the procedure. This will prevent edema (swelling) and limit the risk of phlebitis.
For smokers, tobacco is not contraindicated for liposuction. However, to optimize healing, it is advisable to stop smoking one month before the operation.
You will also be asked not to take any medicine containing aspirin in the ten days before the operation. And, depending on the type of anesthesia that will be chosen, you may also be asked not to eat or drink in the 6 hours preceding the liposuction.
Contraindications for liposuction
Liposuction is not recommended for adolescents, obese people, heavy smokers, women on the pill, because there is a significant risk of phlebitis or pulmonary embolism.
During liposuction, the cosmetic surgeon performs microincisions (2 to 5 mm), slides the cannula into the skin and sucks the fat on the surface and in depth. The operation takes place under local or general anesthesia, depending on the number of areas to be treated. Liposuction lasts one hour for saddlebags, two hours for the thighs and stomach, 30 minutes for the inner side of the knees.
At the end of the operation, the surgeon puts on the compression panties to reduce postoperative edema.
Hospitalization lasts one day for a light liposuction: you enter in the morning and leave in the evening. In case of large volume treatment and general anesthesia, overnight hospitalization will be necessary.
Like any operation, liposuction involves risks: venous complications such as phlebitis, complications related to anesthesia, allergies, shock, infections.
Choose a surgeon who is competent for this type of procedure.
After the intervention
– You must wear the panty day and night for 3 days to limit edema and bruising. Then, only at night for 3 weeks to a month.
– You will feel great aches for a week, as if you had been doing gluteal abs for hours.
– A well performed liposuction does not damage the skin. The lack of skin retraction, when it exists, is due to poor skin elasticity which is not an absolute contraindication to the operation. In this case, the skin lift will be limited.
Advice after liposuction
- Fifteen days after the operation, get a massage! Choose a palpate-roll session and lymphatic drainage at a physiotherapist.
- Gently resume a gentle sporting activity such as stretching. Avoid tennis, which is too violent.
- Avoid exposure to the sun or UV session for at least a month, while the bruises disappear.
- The effect of liposuction is spectacular after a month, superb after a year.
- Correctly performed liposuction is theoretically radical and definitive. The fat goes away and doesn’t come back. To avoid a possible recurrence (very rare) and keep a firm body, have a healthy lifestyle with regular sports activity and a diet program.
What is the price of liposuction?
The cost of liposuction depends on the number of areas to be treated and the technique used. The price includes the costs of surgeon’s fees, anesthesia and clinic fees.
For indication, count approximately for:
One zone: 2000 €
Two zones: 3000 €
Three zones: 3500 €
Four zones: 4000 €
An individualized estimate will be carried out for you at the end of your consultation. Prices for liposuction can fluctuate. So inform yourself well. A very expensive liposuction is not necessarily a guarantee of quality.
Image source: iStock